Barrettes are a popular hair accessory that can add a touch of style to any hairdo. However, some people have raised concerns about whether barrettes can damage hair. The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no, as it depends on several factors.
One factor that can contribute to hair damage from barrettes is the type of barrette being used. Some barrettes have sharp edges or metal clasps that can snag or pull on hair, causing breakage or split ends. Additionally, wearing barrettes too tightly can put stress on hair follicles and lead to hair loss over time. However, our French Handmade barrettes are designed to be gentle on hair, with smooth edges and soft clasps that won't cause damage.
What are Barrettes?
Barrettes are hair accessories that are used to hold hair in place. They come in different shapes, sizes, and designs, and they are often used to add a touch of style to hairstyles.
Barrettes can be used to hold hair in different ways, depending on the type of barrette and the hairstyle. Some common ways to use barrettes include:
- Holding back bangs or side pieces of hair
- Securing a ponytail or bun
- Adding a decorative touch to an updo or half-up hairstyle
How do barrettes work?
Barrettes are hair accessories that are used to hold hair in place. They work by clamping down on the hair, holding it in place and preventing it from falling or moving around. They can be used to create a variety of hairstyles, from simple ponytails to elaborate updos.
Please read this blog on How To Use Barrettes.
Do Barrettes Damage Hair?
Factors that can cause damage:
- Tightness: Barrettes that are too tight can cause hair breakage and damage the hair cuticle.
- Material: Barrettes made of metal or plastic with sharp edges can cause hair damage and breakage.
How to prevent damage:
- Choose the right size: Select barrettes that are the right size for your hair. Avoid using barrettes that are too small or too large for your hair type. For thick hair, look for barrettes that have a large space in between the barrette and the clasp. This ensures there is enough space to hold all of your thick hair. Our best barrettes for thick hair are our Wide Arched Barrette and Waved Thick Hair Barrette. For finer hair types, smaller barrettes work the best and barrettes which have less space in between the clasp and the barrette itself. This prevents the barrettes slipping out and not lasting throughout the day. Our Small and Mini Barrettes work the best in fine hair.
- Select the right material: Choose barrettes made of materials that are gentle on hair. Our French Handmade barrettes are made from strong cellulose acetate which is a biodegradable. This material is then polished for the smoothest edges meaning these barrettes will not snag and cause breakage on the hair unlike plastic barrettes. Our steel clasps are also strong and durable which are kind to your hair and the planet.
- Avoid tightness: Do not use barrettes that are too tight. Loosen them up if you feel any discomfort, however if you choose the correct barrette for your hair type then this shouldn't be an issue.
- Remove carefully: Remove barrettes carefully to avoid pulling or tugging on hair.